For Primary teachers, Early Years practitioners, and other education professionals
2½ hrs. including a working coffee break. Or about 3 hrs. with a break. It's your choice.
The session is relaxed, interactive and informative.
You'll be left inspired, excited - and raring to have a go.
This format is flexible and can be adjusted to suit your requirements. If you would prefer something different, please ask.
- Introduction with interactive songs and instruments.
- The concept of "the story-bubble". Getting involved in the narrative and making it multi-dimensional.
- Story. A full and interactive telling - regularly pausing to highlight/discuss techniques.
- A look at "essential keys" to sharing a story.
- An interactive look at the storyline of the shared story.
- A look at "essential keys" to learning a story.
(Optional working coffee break.)
- Participants begin working either on their own or in pairs. They develop a storyline.
For this, participants are asked to bring a picture book or short story.
- Participants decide which approaches and techniques to use.
- Participants practise telling, or sharing the reading of their story.
- Participants tell, or read their story in pairs/threes; change round when complete.
- A participant/pair may choose to share a story with the whole group.
- Recap of essential points; end with a song.
The ideal number for a real hands-on experience is up to 16. However, a few more might be accommodated.
This format allows me to illustrate how to bring a story to life, and gives participants a practical taste of preparation and delivery.
I emphasise how many "telling" skills can be used to enhance your reading with children.
Because of its length, this practical session is best delivered as a morning or afternoon Inset rather than a twilight session.
£220 + exp.
A discount is available if you book more than one session.
Laura Lillistone (Mid-Tendring Sure Start)