primary school parent storytelling workshops for
Enhance story sharing and reading by inviting parents and carers to watch a story session with their children.
Adults will experience techniques that could enhance their story sharing at home.
This workshop lasts about one and a quarter hours including a break when the children go out for a run around.
This format is flexible and can be adjusted to suit your requirements. If you would prefer something different, please ask.
What a fab afternoon, thank you – please repeat! Excellent interaction, more good ideas for sharing stories. Charlie was fantastic, a brilliant storyteller, thank you for ideas at bedtime. – Moulsham Infants Essex (parents’ comments)
The session is relaxed and informative and parents will leave inspired, excited – and raring to have a go.
- A short interactive song for all.
- A story for the children, whilst the parents/carers look on and learn.
- Children leave for a break whilst I speak with the adults.
- Coffee/tea served.
- I highlight a few simple and easy story sharing/reading approaches and use recommended picture books.
- The children return for a story and song that will also involve the adults.
The aim is to illustrate to parents/carers that they can very easily raise their level of involvement in the story sharing they do with their children at home.
- Story sharing can be an holistic experience for the parent and child.
- Their approach to reading with their children is critical. How they feel about it will be transmitted and transferred to their children and, if positive, could have long term benefits.